Trip to Iceland in the middle of summer – a great option for your holidays! There will be a lot of festive events and entertainment.
Let’s start with sporting activities.
Adore horses? Your presence at Landsmót – The Icelandic Horse Competition (1-8 July) is really necessary!
Fun of running competitions? Welcome to:
- Thorvaldsdalur Terrain Run (7 July) – the oldest terrain run in Iceland; held in Þorvaldsdalur Valley (about 20 km north of Akureyri town).
- The Color Run in Akureyri (also 7 July) – a plenty of fun + very colorful finish – the participants are shimmering with all the colors of the rainbow!
- Laugavegur Ultra Marathon (14 July) – 55 km mountain race = sand, gravel, grass, snow, ice, rivers and streams.
- Reykjavik Marathon (18 August) – takes place every year marking the anniversary of Reykjavik City.
What else? Rey Cup – International football festival (Reykjavik, 25-29 July), Swamp Soccer (Bolungarvík, Iceland, 3-5 August), Rally Reykjavik 2018 (23-25 August).
Now let’s turn to music – things will be also great: folk, chamber & rock – indoor & outdoor festivals. I mean Folk Music Festival of Siglufjörður (4-8 July), Eistnaflug Music festival (11-14 July), KEXPORT (13-14 July), Reykholt Chamber Music Festival (27-29 July), Bræðslan Music Festival (28 July), Innipúkinn Music Festival (3-5 August).
What about creativity, art, & culture? Let me list the most popular events:
- LungA Art Festival (Seydisfjordur, 15-22 July) – a lot of exciting art workshops, lectures, exhibitions and concerts.
- Reykjavik Culture Night (18 August) – “come on in!” – the slogan of this festival means good old fashioned customs of hospitality.
- Act Alone Theatre Festival (Suðureyri, 9-11 August) – annual show dedicated to such complicated kind of art as monodrama.
Where to go with the whole family? Let’s see:
- Medieval Trading Weekend (Eyjafjordur, 14-16 July) – all about Icelandic medieval crafts and games.
- Icelandic Bank Holiday Weekend (4-6 August) – a set of fascinating family-oriented activities (festivals, concerts, parties, etc.) all over the country.
- Fireworks show at Jokulsarlon – magic lights in the night sky, very breathtaking!
Also for all of you – whalewatching & puffins safaris.
Wish you a wondrous summer!