God has provided a wealth of health benefits and healing properties in simple whole foods.
- Stress or anxiety: Next time you feel stressed, eat a banana. A banana has only 105 calories and 14 grams of natural sugars, a medium banana helps fill you up, and provide a mild blood sugar boost. A banana also provides 30% of your daily requirements of vitamin B6, which helps your brain to produce mellowing serotonin, getting you through a crisis peacefully.
- Cardiovascular health: A generous handful of raisins contain 1 gram of fibre and 212 mg of potassium. Both of these are recommended in the diet to help with high blood pressure. Studies show that polyphenols in grape-derived foods such as raisins are effective in maintaining cardiovascular health, including helping to bring down blood pressure.
- Pears: One medium pear has 5 grams of dietary fibre, much of it in the form of pectin, which helps flush out bad cholesterol, a risk factor in heart disease.
- Kidney stones prevention: Eight dried apricot halves have 2 grams of fibre only 3 mg of sodium, and 325mg of potassium, all of which help keep minerals from accumulating in urine and forming kidney stones.
- Tummy troubles: Studies suggest that eugenol, a compound in basil, can keep your gut safe from pain, nausea, cramping or diarrhea by killing off bacteria such as Salmonella and Listeria. Eugenol even has antispasmodic property to help keep cramps at bay. Use minced fresh basil in sauces or salads.
- Cabbage has a powerful compound called sulforaphane, which helps to clobber H pylori (the bacteria that causes gastric and peptic ulcers) before it can get to your gut and may even help inhibit the growth of gastric lumours.
- Nausea: next time you experience nausea sip on a cup full of ginger tea (steep 1/2 to 1 tsp minced gingerroot in a cup of hot water). Ginger naturally has oils and compounds that suppress nausea, but have none of the side effects of over the counter medication.
- Yeast infection: Garlic contains essential oils that can inhibit the growth of the Candida albicans fungus. Recent studies suggest that thyme, cloves and even the essential oils from oranges are also effective fungicides. Include garlic in sauces, salad dressings and marinades.
- Bladder infection: Cranberries are a well establishes treatment for reducing the risk of bladder infection, and could also beneficial for chronic prostatitis. Drink 1/2 – 3/4 cup of cranberry juice twice a day or take cranberry capsules containing at least 300 – 500mg of concentrated extract twice daily.
- Coughing: In a Pennsylvania State University, 2 teaspoons of thick, dark brown honey were more effective that over the counter cough medicines at limiting the severity and frequency of a cough in children. Honey’s antioxidants and antimicrobial properties may help soothe an inflamed sore throat.
- Heartburn: Chamomile can ease digestive inflammation, spasms, and gas. Steep 2 teaspoons of the herb in 10 ounces of hot water for 29 minutes, covering the top to keep the essential oils in the water. Drink the tea a few times a day for complete relief.