Inspired by Ghostwriter’s post about the things that are under our control, I decided to publish some of the things I listed there, and also expand the list. They are inspired by similar lists on the internet, I collected the ones that feel universal to me. Some are also borrowed from Carol’s list in the same comment section. Sometimes, we don’t have a choice, but many other things are our choice.
First, I want to write a few words about control. It’s very important to find the balance, because we may end up restricting ourselves. I have seen people who almost punish themselves with restrictions because they lack control in other areas of their life.
Some things you can control:
- How many times you smile today;
- How you interpret situations;
- How many times you say “thank you”;
- How you express your feelings;
- How much time you think about the past;
- How much time you spend worrying;
- How much you appreciate the things you have;
- How much you share with others;
- How open-minded you are;
- How you treat others;
- How many risks you take;
- How much effort you exert at work;
- How many new things you try;
- How many times you admit you don’t know something;
- How many times you are ready to hear an opinion different than yours;
- Whether or not you judge other people;
- Whether you try again after you fail the first time;
- Whether you ask for help;
- Whether you decide to feel offended;
- Whether you forgive others and yourself;
- Whether or not you give someone the benefit of the doubt;
- Whether or not you form expectations of people;
- Which commitments you keep and cancel;
- When you walk away from a conversation;
- Your words;
- Your level of honesty.
Years ago, someone gifted me a plaque with these words:
“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.”
It’s surely something I often forget, as wisdom doesn’t always come to me naturally.
It’s a list with potential to spark some positivism, so I am posting this under my challenge My Happy List.
What are the things you are in control of?
You are the captain of your ship?