Continuing with the series of the top ten most populated cities in Australia.
In case you missed number one (Sydney) you can see my post here: SYDNEY Facts
Australia is a place I have always wanted to visit. Maybe one day. I am learning a lot doing this series. I will share some of the facts I learned with my research.
The second most populated state in Australia is Melbourne. I learned some new things while researching.
1. Melbourne holds the world record for the highest attendance at a cricket match.
2. Melbourne’s famous beer, Foster’s Lager, was actually produced by two Americans.
3. The expression ‘call girl’ that is used for a prostitute, was invented in Melbourne.
4.The first Olympic Games hosted by Australia were held in Melbourne, in 1956.
5. The first traffic lights of Australia were installed in Melbourne, on the Collins and Swanston Streets intersection.
6. The largest stained glass ceiling of the world is in Melbourne, at ‘The National Gallery of Victoria’.
7. The tramway system of Melbourne is the largest outside the Europe continent and the fourth largest in the world.
8. Tunnels run almost everywhere in Melbourne.
9. Melbourne is the only city to have the highest Greek population, outside Greece and the highest Italian population, outside Italy.
10. Melbourne has the highest number of cafes and restaurants per capita, than anywhere else in the world.
Learn anything new about Melbourne from my post?