Continuing with the series of the top ten most populated cities in Australia.
Australia is a place I have always wanted to visit. Maybe one day. I am learning a lot doing this series. I will share some of the facts I learned with my research.
The third most populated state in Australia is Brisbane. I learned some new things while researching.
My friend in Australia lives in Brisbane, Queensland.
1. Brisbane was inhabited by the Turrbal and Jagera people during the ancient time. Therefore, it is considered as one of the oldest cities in Australia.
2. The name of the city is taken from the name of Brisbane River. The name of the river is derived from the name of the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Thomas Brisbane.
3. Brisbane has 283 days of sunshine a year, it has more sunny days per year than any other Australian capital city.
4. Brisbane is a thriving multicultural hub with a population of 2.27 million, making it the third-largest city in Australia.
5. The Brisbane River is the longest river in the south east of the large state of Queensland.
6. Australia Zoo, home of ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin (sadly killed by a stingray barb) is at Beerwah ( a rural town 70km north of Brisbane).
7. Originally called Nashville, gold was discovered here in 1867. The name changed to Gympie (from the Aboriginal meaning ‘stinging tree’), in 1868.
8. The original Victoria Bridge was a temporary crossing of timber construction, which collapsed due to a marine wood worm infestation. Its replacement, a metal structure, was washed away in the 1893 floods. The replacement opened in 1897 and lasted until 1969. A portion of the southern end of this bridge remains adjacent to the current bridge. This comprises a pedestrian arch, a remnant of tram track and a memorial to a boy who was killed there in a traffic accident when waving to soldiers returning from the First World War.
Every visited Australia before?
Learning anything new from this series?
15 CommentsLeave a Reply
I would love to visit this place one day. Learned a lot!
Me too, it is on my bucket list.
I have not been to Australia. And so this series is interesting to me.
Thanks Elenka, I have not been either. Glad you are enjoying.
I have never been to Brisbane! thanks for the fun facts!
You are very welcome, thanks for the visit.
you bet! I love learning about places I have never been!
Lots of new and interesting facts about Australia, dear Carol …. I’ve never visited it before and I’m sure I never will
Thanks Lado, I have not been either. Glad you are enjoying.
I would move to this city because it has a lot of sunny days. ?
My friend lives there and she visits the beach often.
Brisbane seems like an amazing place! I love learning new things.
I agree, this has been a fun series. Thanks for your support.
Thanks that is interesting information, not had much chance to see much of Australia but Tasmania as I said is a great place
I am doing the top ten most populated areas. And learning a lot.