Meatloaf is a favorite dish for many families and it certainly is for ours. Partly, it is because it is so easy to make and part of it is that almost any ground meat can be used. The following recipe features mushrooms, bacon, and onions. The sauce is a bit unusual for meatloaf, but it is just as simple and is surprisingly good.
It could be called a lazy man’s meatloaf because I made this a few nights ago when I really didn’t feel like spending a lot of time and effort for dinner. I used what we had on hand and the meal turned out far better than I honestly expected. I can’t wait until the next time I feel lazy and decide to make it because there are several things that could make this recipe even better. Still, this recipe will be the base, regardless of what else is added.
Bacon mushroom meatloaf ingredients:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or other meat
- *1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- I/2 medium onion, diced
- 8 strips of bacon
- 1/4 pound sliced mushrooms (or one 8-ounce can, drained)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
* If you are using ground beef, use 80% lean. If you use ground venison, elk, or other especially lean meats, you may need to add some lard. Otherwise, the meatloaf will probably fall apart.
Bacon mushroom meatloaf instructions:
1. Chop four slices of the bacon. Combine the bacon, onions, ground meat, eggs, breadcrumbs, brown sugar, and mushrooms. Mix thoroughly.
2. Put the meatloaf into a loaf pan.
3. Mix the ketchup and prepared mustard, then pour this over the meat. Put the other four slices of bacon over the top of the sauce.
4. Bake at 375 F for 40-45 minutes.
This meatloaf is quite moist and juicy. The prepared mustard gives it a delightful tang, yet the flavor is sweet.
This meatloaf is complimented with mashed potatoes, and green beans are great as a side dish. If there are leftovers, the meatloaf is also great in sandwiches.
If you are looking for a very tasty but easy main dish, this meatloaf is one for you to try. It is delicious, doesn’t take a lot of effort, and it is done in under an hour, start to finish. It can even be easily altered, such as by adding herbs, chili peppers, taco seasoning, cheese, or what have you, depending on what you have on hand.