I’ve been having a discussion with another writer here on Virily about the reality of the media in particular in the US, but there are global ramifications. We need to have a fact-based discussion of what is and isn’t.
- The media is the most controlled legally component of the US today. There are more laws, more court rulings and statues that limit the media and its presentation than any other industry except for those controlled by the FDA.
- FCC audits news stations and pulls the right to broadcast if they violate the law.
- No one media group is allowed to own a predominance of stations in a specific area (radio/TV/Newspaper)
- Based on the punitive nature of our divisive nation today, it is shocking to me that people who are sources wish to remain anonymous. A newspaper in Annapolis published an article 5 or more years ago. The subject of that article called it “fake news” and sued. He LOST that battle in court. Then he walked into that newspaper and shot 5 people dead.
- The reality of Facebook and social media is that it is not news. It is not a source nor can it be referenced as a source. That goes for anything on the internet not specially owned by a company. The reason for this is that opinion isn’t supported by fact. Facts and news require a commitment to that information. People may not like what the media says, but stop playing the fake and false news game.
- Fake news and false news p0ublished by a media organization results in fines for that organization and often if done willfully by a newscaster the termination of that newscaster.
- The libel and Defamation laws are clear and concise Fake and False news is simply a way around the legal requirements of proof. Why do people avoid proof? Because they have no facts to back their position.
- The fake/false news issue started with a pronouncement by the Press Secretary of the United States. He declared in a press conference that the inauguration of Donald Trump had more attendees than that of Barrack Obama 8 year before. The hard data shows that the inauguration of Mr. Trump (national part service published this report) had less than ¾ of the crows size. The WH began publishing the phrase alternative facts, and of course, denounced the media for pointing out the error (calling fake news). Additionally, the WH forced the US park service to remove the published numbers form the site, for the first time.
- #MeToo is a real thing and must be respected. Woman have been treated poorly in the world, and they deserve better. Every woman that comes forward must be listened to
- More journalists jailed because of speaking out in the world, in 2017 than in previous years. What voice do we have as individuals if we take away the voice of media?
As a human being, it makes me sad that people have fallen into the pit of false and fake news. There is no path out of that pit. There was a time in this nation when yellow journalism was so bad that we passed laws to prohibit that. Yellow Journalism was a very bad thing. But false news and Fake news with no facts to back the claims is YELLOW Journalism.
The first rule of debate, using the option to say opinion is bad, but defaults mean your argument is wrong.
I wish beyond wish, and dream beyond dreaming that Aldous Huxley was wrong in his book “Brave new world.” The end of which, the last lines of the book speak now to the world we have created. “Oh brave new world, to have people such as this in it.”