One of the necessary expenses that are incurred when a person has a pet dog is dog food. There are many kinds available on the market ranging in price from expensive to very expensive. Many of these contain corn, which isn’t particularly good for dogs. When you buy a bag, though, you don’t have much choice about what is in it. Thankfully, it isn’t very difficult to make your own healthy dry dog food and you have control of the ingredients.
This dog food isn’t dirt-cheap, but it is much less expensive than the brand name dog foods and the recipe can be doubled or tripled easily. Although this is for dogs, it is actually edible for people, too, though I wouldn’t make any for the family to munch on.
Dog Food Ingredients:
1 pound hamburger or ground meat
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup powdered milk
1 can beef broth (this can be the low sodium variety)
1 teaspoon coconut oil or lard
½ cup cooking oil
1 ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups dog-safe vegetables (carrots, broccoli, spinach, pumpkin, green beans) cooked and finely diced
Dry Dog Food Instructions:
1. In a frying pan, heat the lard or coconut oil and brown the ground meat in this.
2. While the meat is cooking, mix the flour and instant milk in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl or blender, beat the eggs, vegetable oil, broth, and Worcestershire sauce.
4. Mix the egg mixture into the flour mixture, and add the ground meat and chopped vegetables. As all of this is mixed together, it should produce a thick, moist, lumpy, sticky dough.
5. Turn the dough onto a greased cookie sheet. It should be about a half-inch thick.
6. Bake this at 200° F for a half-hour. remove from the oven and cut in bite-sized pieces. A pizza cutter can be used for this, but a knife works just as well.
7. Return the dog food to the oven and cook for another hour. Turn off the oven and let the food cool completely. This can take an hour or so.
8. Remove the dog food from the pan and break it apart along the cut-lines. Put it in an air-tight container and refrigerate.
This dog food is much superior to name brand kibbles and it isn’t as expensive. Dogs usually like it, too. It will keep for about a week in the fridge and for about 3 months if it is frozen. Since it isn’t difficult to make, a lot of dog food can be made up so you have plenty on hand for when your four-legged fur-baby is hungry.
Do you have or have you had a pet dog?