Starting another series today about Word Origin.
I will start with ~ FRIDAY
Many interesting things I learned about Friday celebrations I was not aware of, while reasearching…
1. In astrology, Friday is connected with the planet Venus and is symbolized by that planet’s symbol ♀. Friday is also associated with the astrological signs Libra and Taurus.
2. In Christianity, Good Friday is the Friday before Easter. It commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus.
3. In Islam, Friday (from sun-down Thursday to sun-down Friday, simpler than midnight to midnight in a pre-clock age) corresponds as a holy day to Sunday in Christianity and Saturday (Friday evening to Saturday evening) in Judaism and Sabbatarian Christianity.
4. Jewish Sabbath begins at sunset on Friday and lasts until nightfall on Saturday. There is a Jewish custom to fast on the Friday of the week of Chukat.
5. In Thailand, the color associated with Friday is blue.
And of course Friday is the end of the work week for many out there.
A celebration in itself to look forward to the weekend.
Now you know some of the read of the story about Friday!
Curious about the origin of certain words?