Thanks to a tip from a neighbor who reported to the East Chicago Fire Department who reported seeing smoke coming out of a four unit apartment on the 4800 block of Baring Avenue on Friday afternoon, an eight year old girl was able to save her one year old brother and their family dog to safety.
The name of the eight year old girl and her brother as well as the dog were not released to the public.
The eight year old girl told the paramedics that she smelled smoke in her apartment unit and when she saw water getting into her unit, she took action of getting her younger brother and pet dog out of the home before the fire would have consumed them.
The concerned neighbor called the East Chicago Fire Department who arrived at the scene of the fire when they saw the young girl and her younger brother as well as their family dog get out of the burning apartment in the nick of time.
After the young girl and her younger brother came out of the burning apartment, they were taken to Saint Catherine Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
The two children were released from the hospital the same day. The irony is that the adults that were supposed to watch their children were not home when the fire broke out.
I do not know if they were working at their jobs or were they out running errands.
The good deal is that no one inside the four unit apartment or any firefighters were injured in the disaster.