These spicy flavoursome mushrooms are great served as a starter/appetiser, with garlic bread, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, etc, or as part of a cold buffet spread, party food.
- 1 lb 10 oz (750g) of button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 red chilli, chopped finely
- 1 green chilli, ditto
- 2 cups/17 fluid oz (500 ml) of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
- 75g (around 1 tablespoon) of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 75 g (ditto above) chopped cilantro (coriander)
- ¼ teaspoon caster sugar
- Don’t wash the mushrooms, as they will absorb too much water! Instead, Wipe them with some damp kitchen paper to remove dirt and place them in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix together the garlic, sugar, lemon juice and chillis. Add the mushrooms to this mixture and blend in well, so that the mushrooms are evenly coated.
- Cover the bowl with some cling film (plastic wrap) and marinate for 30 minutes at least. Just before you serve them, add the herbs, and season with salt and pepper and mix in well. (NB: You can also add the herbs earlier, before marinading, if you want a stronger flavour.