<a href="https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chopping_cabbage_(5196913363).jpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Source</a>
This very easy casserole is a terrific change of pace. It is delicious, nutritious, and filling. It takes less than an hour to make, too, so it isn’t even especially time consuming.
Cabbage tends to be somewhat bland, but this casserole combines several good flavors to create a main dish that is packed with flavor.
Beef and cabbage casserole ingredients:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced or diced
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Jack, or Mozzarella)
- 1 can chopped, stewed tomatoes
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Beef and cabbage casserole instructions:
1. Combine the ground beef, scrambled, and onions in a frying pan and cook over low heat until the meat is lightly browned.
2. In a large casserole dish, put the cabbage in a layer. Pour the hamburger and onion mixture on top of the shredded cabbage. Over the top of this, pour the chopped, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Add the seasonings, then top with shredded cheese.
3. Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 F and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.
If you enjoy mushrooms, a half pound of sliced mushrooms can be put over the hamburger layer before adding the tomatoes.
Even though this dish is easy to prepare, it tastes very good and it is quite filling. It would taste even better if the chopped, stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce were homemade.
If you don’t have a large casserole dish, you can use two smaller ones or a 9 x 13 cake pan. A casserole dish is preferable because of the depth, however, the cabbage does cook down.
Because of the robust flavor, this meal goes well with a dessert of fresh fruit, such as watermelon or strawberry shortcake.