SSD hosting has grown in popularity over the last few years. Hosting on an SSD, also known as a solid state drive, offers a number of advantages over hosting on a traditional mechanical hard drive, which is known as an HDD. SSDs are significantly faster than HDDs and well on course to replacing them in consumer grade computers and laptops.
Why are SSDs Faster than HDDs?
The answer to this question lies in understanding hw an SSD and HDD function. A hard disk drive uses the principle of magnetism to write and read data. It consists of platters, which are magnetic disks that spin inside the HDD. A head, which is extended by a mechanical arm, reads and writes data over these platters. An SSD, on the other hand, uses no moving parts. It stores data using NAND, which is a type of flash memory. In other words, an SSD stores data in the form of an electrical charge.
Compared to mechanical hard drives, solid state drives are not volatile. This means the information does not disappear as soon as electricity is withdrawn. This also bestows SSDs with much faster access times than HDDs as they do not have to spin in order to read stored data.
This begs the question, how SSD VPS hosting can boost your digital marketing efforts? Well, a fully functional and optimized website is considered a prerequisite for any digital marketing campaign. So when a website is hosted with a reliable provider, it bolsters its online marketing efforts.
SSD Hosting vs. HDD Hosting
- In HDDs, moving electromechanical parts store and read data. So in a hosting service that uses HDDs, every time a visitor opens your website or accesses a new page, the server’s disk spins and locates the requisite information. This takes time and often leads to delays. And while this delay is only around a few milliseconds, its effects are magnified greatly when a website is swarmed by a large number of visitors at the same time.
- With SSD hosting, your web hosting speed sees a notable improvement. As mentioned before, since the drive has no mechanical moving parts, there is no lag while retrieving any information from it. And so when a visitor lands up on your website and browses around, the experience is almost seamless while the response times are blazing fast.
From a digital marketing perspective, a quick loading site is always good as it makes visitors stay longer on your site. Search engines like Google favor such websites with a higher ranking in their search results.
2. Quick Data Transfer Speed
- The mechanical structure of hard disk drives not only slows down data access times but also impacts data transfer speeds. And since a solid state drive stores all data in the form of electricity, data transfer speeds are tremendously fast. For websites with a lot of multimedia content, this feature of SSD VPS hosting proves quite useful.
This again positively influences a visitor’s experience by making them stay on your website for longer periods. The longer a visitor stays on your website, the lower is your bounce rate. A low bounce rate tells search engines like Google that your website has quality content, which sooner than later pushes up your ranking.
3. Stability & Reliability
- On the whole, SSDs are far more reliable and durable than hard disk drives. This alone justifies their higher initial cost compared to HDDs. The higher reliability is because of their low power usage, zero heat generation and absence of fragmentation. These factors negate the wear and tear that one normally sees with hard disk drives.
The benefits of greater reliability for your website’s hosting are multifold. For starters, downtimes are kept to the bare minimum. And when your website is live for extended periods of time, search engine bots view it favorably which definitely aids your digital marketing efforts. Next up, their durability minimizes chances of you losing data in the event of a crash or hack. Lastly, the durability of SSD drives reduces cost overheads related to repairing and replacing traditional mechanical hard drives.
- In terms of scalability, SSDs are far better than HDDs. Scalability is the ability to scale up a resource when required. This makes them excellent for developing applications, which requires quick scaling of resources, the absence of which can severely hamper overall user experience. Moreover, backing up SSDs is also quite easy.
Their enhanced data retrieval speeds add to the performance of content management services like WordPress or Drupal. Furthermore, quick uploading of pages is another SSD hallmark that is sure to help ecommerce websites boost their conversion rates. To sum it up, whether you need your website to perform better or are looking to augment the returns of your digital marketing campaign, SSD VPS hosting has you covered.