It’s been a long time since my last post on Virily. There were several reasons why I did not post. One of them is that Maya, my dog, who is sick, needs my help. She is very weak and the vet does not find the remedy. Maya has back pain and her liver is also affected. I suspect she came into contact with a very toxic plant. I am talking about American Phytolaca.
Because today is Monday and because I love Macro Monday I want to show you some photos of this beautiful but very toxic plant.
Phytolacca americana, (Carmaz in romanian language) is a herbaceous perennial plant growing up to 2 meters in height. Phytolaca has significant toxicity for children and animals.
According to Wikipedia, children are the ones who can get poisoned by eating raw berries and infants shouldn’t eat them because they are especially sensitive. Also, some research have proven that adults have been poisoned too, by eating improperly prepared leaves and shoots. Research with humans has also shown that common pokeweed can cause mutations (possibly leading to cancer) and birth defects.
Beware of this plant! Maybe my photos will help you recognize this plant. Flowers can be white or pink and berries purple to black.