Taco soup is a delicious dish that can be used as a main dish. It is quite easy to make, it’s filling, and it isn’t expensive. The soup can be made mild, medium, or hot by simply changing the seasonings a little. This is also a great soup for all seasons. We enjoy it as much in the fall and winter as we do in the spring and summer.
Like many people, I’d never heard of taco soup. That changed about a year ago when I tasted it for the first time. I enjoyed it tremendously, so I set out to figure out how to make my own. I found this quite easy to do, too. This recipe can even be varied according to taste and according to what you have on hand.
As if all of its wonderful attributes aren’t good enough, this soup isn’t even especially high in calories, unless cheese or other toppings are added. The soup contains fewer than 300 calories per bowl, not counting toppings.
Taco soup ingredients:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans diced stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans cook dried beans (pinto, red beans, etc)
- 1 can kernel corn
- 1 can sliced black olives
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 packet dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 packet dry taco seasoning (about 2 tablespoons if you make your own)
Taco soup instructions:
1. Brown the hamburger, celery, and onions over medium heat.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix everything well.
3. Add just enough water to make the soup as thick as you’d like it to be. I like it somewhat thin but some people like thicker soup.
4. Cover and cook at a simmer for an hour, stirring it once in a while and adding a little bit of water as needed.
5. Serve it hot as it is, or with your choice of toppings.
Possible toppings include tortilla chips, sliced tomatoes, shredded cheese, or sliced avocados.
If you want the soup to have a medium piquancy, add a teaspoon of paprika and or a teaspoon of chili powder to the other ingredients.
If you want the soup to have robust piquancy, add paprika, chili powder, diced jalapenos, and use hot beans.
Taco soup is so delicious that it is easy to forget that it is also healthy and isn’t high in calories. In fact, this soup is good for dieters and diabetics and it contains no gluten. This is a lot less expensive than many diet meals and it is easy to change, too. If you like Mexican food, chances are that you will love taco soup. This can even be made in a crockpot!