Monday, October 02, 2017
It is 9:45 pm, and I am watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas on the indie channel. All of the sudden, I start thinking about a bunch of 80s bands that I used to listen to in high school and college. I haven’t listened to any in a long time unless I stumble upon one by accident on a YouTube video. As I listened and watched the videos for fun, it brought back some memories from my past. I suddenly felt old and sad.
1.Styx—Too much time on my hands. I used to listen to my Styx tape cassette, in which I got for my birthday, a lot during my teen years.
2. Foreigner—I want to know what love is–I like this band’s songs because they put me in a romantic mood, especially when I am alone. I used to listen to Foreigner a lot during my teen years.
3. Asia—Only Time Will Tell–The 80s band is another band that I used to listen to all the time during my teen years. As a teen, I was confused about my future and where I should go next because I didn’t know what to do.
4. Blue Oyster Cult—Burning for You–I just like this band’s music because it sounds sexy. This band was another popular band that I liked when I was in high school.
5. Journey—Don’t Stop Believing–Journey songs seem to give me hope, especially this song. I used to listen to Journey a lot during my teen years.
6. REO Speedwagon—Take it on the run–This 80s band was another band that I listened to as a teenager. I just liked their music.
7. AHA—Take on me–I mostly liked this song because of this video. I have always loved to draw and I have always wanted to draw a graphic novel. So, watching this video over and over, used to encourage me to pursue my dream to draw a graphic novel one day. Plus, I used to have a crush on the lead singer.
6. Wang Chung –Everyone have fun tonight. I like their music because it puts me in a good mood, especially for doing my own home workouts. This band played at my college, and I went to see them with a friend of the family. The concert was inside the UCI gym, and the audience was very small, similar to a concert at a small town. But it was interesting to see them in real life.
7. Pink Floyd—Another Brick in the wall–I first learned about Pink Floyd from my cousin during the 80s when I was a teenager. I used to listen to this song all the time that I forgot the other songs on the album. I got more into Pink Floyd when I got older.
8. SuperTramp—Take the long way home–I went to their concert in Fresno with my cousin and her friend. It was dark, smoky, loud, and I couldn’t hear the words to the songs. But it was interesting to be there and see the band in person. After the concert, my ears wouldn’t stop ringing that I thought I was going deaf.