This attractive bridge crosses the River Spree on the eastern side of Berlin, not far from the East Side Gallery, which is a preserved section of the Berlin Wall that has become a mile-long canvas for talented artists. During the partition of Berlin, Oberbaumbrucke linked the two sides and was only usable by people with the correct papers.
The bridge was built in 1896 from reinforced concrete faced with red brick. The central arch is crowned by a pair of crenellated neo-Gothic towers.
This is a double bridge in that it supports a roadway and a branch of the Berlin U-Bahn. The latter is carried at a higher level than the roadway, with a pedestrian arcade underneath the tracks.