The researchers analyzed the air quality of 100 homes and energy consumption linked to drying habits of clothing. In this way, they found that in 87% of the homes the clothes were dried inside the homes during the colder months. The experts verified that 75% of the houses studied had the humidity levels favorable for the appearance of dust mites. In addition, they found a “strong” association between drying clothes and the formation of mold spores. They found a spore that causes lung infections in 25% of households. Specifically, a spore, which causes lung infections in people with weakened immune systems, was found to be present in 25% of households surveyed.