On the outskirts of Mount Buzludzha in Bulgaria’s mountains, there is an unusual abandoned monument – a building in the form of a flying plate that wanted to glorify communism. When the communist regime collapsed, the monument was abandoned and destroyed by the thieves, vandals, and natural forces.
The monument in the heart of Bulgaria is called the spectacular example of the brutal architecture of the 20th century. It was built in 1981by the Communist Party of Bulgaria, but the structure was used only for 8 years. The mountain itself is a place of 1868 battle between the Bulgarian and Turkish. In1891, a group of socialists led by Dmitry Blagoyev met to discuss the socialist future of Bulgaria. For these events, the government, which was greatly influenced by the Soviet Union, decided to build a monument that would symbolize communism.
Works started in 1974, they were performed by the units of the Bulgarian Army, assisted by various craftsmen responsible for sculptures and interior design. Inside there was a proliferation of communist propaganda: large paintings by Lenin and Marx, the sign of a hammer and sickle on the ceiling, and at the top – a red star window. The amount of money spent on construction would now be approximately 35 million dollars.
This brutal architectural monument attracts more and more international attention and travelers every year. This year, after a break of 8 years, its door was officially opened for the first time – a small group of journalists was presented with a restoration plan.