Collecting images of foxes is one of my hobbies. I share the images via my Tumblr blog. Earth Day is celebrated officially every year on April 22, 2020. As part of the Earth Day celebration, National Geographic, one of my favorite magazines published an article about tiny island foxes. The article piqued my curiosity so I did additional research to find out more interesting facts about these creatures.
- They are very tiny. As small as a house cat.
- They live on 6 of the 8 Channel Islands of California.
- These foxes have one mate for life and mate once a year.
- In the 1990s they were preyed upon by golden eagles and this caused their population to drop drastically. Their numbers had dwindled down to 100.
- The Channel Islands National Park began an island fox recovery program in 1999. The recovery program was a success.