Stretch ceilings will bring practical benefits and aesthetic beauty to your home. This is a solution that usually proves to be good. Stretch ceilings are a striking element of the overall design, the first impression of the entire interior of the premises. From their beauty, exclusivity, and originality of the shape and color, depends the entire architectural composition. Today, thanks to such a luxurious and practical invention, you have the opportunity to easily implement the most original and exclusive solution for your home interior.
Such ceilings consist of profiles fastened to the perimeter of the ceiling and the lightweight fabric membrane made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or polyester.
Unlike other types of ceilings, you do not need to decorate the fabric membrane by self; on the other hand, you will not even be able to – the ceiling membranes are produced by the special machines. Of course, you can choose the desired ceiling’s image. On the cover, you can “put” practically anything that you want – starry sky, ornaments, animal images, city views, and the like. True, you should not do everything that comes to your head – it’s best if the ceiling is dainty and not too variegated.
Stretch ceilings have a variety of advantages, which are much more difficult to implement with conventional roofing techniques:
- Extremely smooth surfaces without cracks, the surface does not need to be plastered, putty or otherwise cover the ceiling – the ceiling membrane hides everything. There is a wide range of shades and images – a variety of color options, textures, matte or glossy surfaces. You can print the desired images on the membrane.
- Practically any kind of decor.
- Flood resistance. The surface can be washed and disinfected, as the membrane is not afraid of moisture and vapor. In case of flooding from the upper floors, such a ceiling becomes additional protection against water. Well-equipped ceilings can withstand a pressure of up to 100 liters per square meter – so you can not only avoid a surprise but also have time to think about solutions for how to let out the water.
- There is a possibility to install luminous ceilings or use any other interesting lighting solutions.
- High price compared with other types of ceilings.
- Compared to traditional types of ceilings, installing of the stretch ceilings in the room with more angles requires specific knowledge and equipment, making it not easy to install them easily with self.
- Stretch ceilings should be protected from puncture.
- This type of ceiling is used only in heated rooms, as big frost may be harmful to them.
- Stretch ceilings are fixed throughout the perimeter of the room, so it is important to properly measure and select the carcass. The more correct geometric shapes are in the room, the easier it will be to handle the carcass.
The stretched ceilings can be offered all standard lighting solutions as well as a few non-standard ones. You can set everything from simple hanging lights to luxurious candelabra. True, it is recommended that the design of the hanging luminaries does not touch the fabric membrane. It is possible to install the illumination just under membrane – so it will spread a pleasant light and will look like the ceiling is shining. Spotlight can also be fitted – there are made special cavities in the ceiling, fastened with rings.
When the ceiling gets worn or just the image is getting boring, it can be replaced by another without breaking the profile system, so replacing or repairing the ceiling is simpler and cheaper. It is usually not necessary to wash such ceilings, but we know that everything happens at home. Practically, any cleaners are suitable, although abrasive should be avoided as they can damage the membrane.
© Fortune, 2017