Servings: Makes 9-10 pancakes
These delicious banana pancakes are a breeze to prepare and give a different twist to our regular everyday pancakes. Serve these with some butterscotch cream or even just honey and you will have a winner breakfast option!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup milk (150 ml)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon melted butter or oil
- 2 medium over-ripe bananas, mashed well
- 1 teaspoon sugar (you can use more sugar for added sweetness)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Honey or maple syrup for serving
- First, add the lemon juice to the milk and set aside for 10 minutes to make buttermilk. Then, in a jug, add this buttermilk, the melted butter or oil, beaten egg, mashed bananas and vanilla essence and mix them together. These will be your wet ingredients.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl, then add the dry ingredients. Make a well in the middle and mix in ALL the wet ingredients until JUST combined. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Next, heat up a griddle or pan (you can add a bit of oil if you like) and ladle the batter on to it. Cook the pancakes on low and slow. Bananas tend to caramelize fast, so if the heat is kept at your regular pancake heat they will darken on the outside before they get fully cooked on the inside. So keep the heat low and allow them to cook through. Continue until all the batter is used up.
- Serve with accompaniments of your choice.