in

Live Your Dream and Create Your Art

Thursday, November 29, 2018

It rained all morning, but it felt soothing and relaxing, as I got up, fed Gumby, ate my breakfast, and changed my clothes. I have a Canon workshop at noon. So, around 11:30 am, I drove slowly in the rain.  At noon, photographer Joel Grimes talked about living your dreams as an artist and creating an income off your artwork.

It all starts out by following your intuition. Do your own creations. There isn’t a right or wrong way in art. You have everything you need around you. Learning and working via your intuition is faster to learn and quicker to do because it is all about what you see, if you like what you’re doing, and if you’re happy with your artwork. Make your own judgments. Don’t let others judge your work for you.

His photographs are dramatic pictures of different people, mostly in black and white because he is colorblind.

The process of living the artist life starts with asking yourself what you want to achieve within your lifetime. Then, reinvent yourself to help make your achievements happen.

  • What do you love to do? It should be something you can do it for the rest of your life without complaining. If you have an idea, then pursue it. What’s keeping you from achieving your dream? 10% of people who have a degree in a particular area are actually working in that field. The other 90% have chickened out from this field and they are pursuing something else more practical. The most common reason is the negative feedback from others.
  • Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. It is important to use your strengths and overcome your weaknesses. Achieve your goal. The more you repeat what you are doing, the better you become at it and the easier it becomes for you. Work hard in repeating the work until it comes second nature.
  • Photography involves technical process and creative process. I think I am better at the creative process. Ask yourself if you are an artist or technician. He notes that although technical jobs are more practical, the artist job makes more money.
  • Chase the unattainable. In other words, think big and reach high for the stars.
  • Photography is not reality. It is an illusion, based on the artist’s perception of reality. (I actually wrote an article about this back in the early 90s after browsing in an art gallery). Photographers are illusionists, creating their magical art via pictures to move viewers in some way.
  • Art is defined as the manifestation of self-expression of your unique passion and voice. If someone does not like your work, then it does not matter. Art is subjective. There is not a particular ceiling amount of salary for an artist. They make more money than technicians. Artists are hired to create work in their particular style.
  • A real artist is unique and one-of-a-kind, enabling them to stand out from the crowd and set trends.
  • Let your intuition, emotions, and feelings guide you to achieving success.
  • Invest your time and put in many hours in your art in order to make things really happen.
  • How many pieces should you put in your portfolio? 30-50 photos or artwork.
  • Every 7 to 10 years, reinvent yourself in order to move with the new changes. (It works for Madonna, LOL).
  • Do 50 self-assignments per year, which is 50 days of shooting pictures or doing your art.

As I drove home, I noticed that it sprinkled for a couple of seconds and it stopped. But it felt so peaceful and clean after the rain.

What do you think?

2 points
Legend

Written by Fifi Leigh

Wordsmith BuddySmarty PantsLoyal BuddyBookwormYears Of MembershipImage MakerEmbed MakerList MakerStory MakerUp/Down VoterPoll MakerEmoji AddictQuiz MakerContent Author

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply