In ancient times, it was not so simple to make a niche in a brick wall. The niche in the wall was designed in conjunction with the construction of the whole house, or it appeared after they brick up the unused passage. They were mostly arched or tapering vaults, serving as a space for statues or urns. As a result, the niche in the interior was usually a luxury element.
Niches in the modern interior are celebrating their rebirth.
Using gypsum-cardboard structures for the interior decoration, it can easily be shaped wherever desired, whatever shape and when desired. When composing niches in a plasterboard wall, unlike masonry, it’s easy to add lighting there which gives you even more extra options.
Where and when are the niches most commonly used?
- To emphasize the style of the interior. For example, in the East, in the Arabian style, the effect of the “onions” niches strengthens the impression. Niches with moldings, with sink motifs, are suitable for antique, baroque interiors, placing statues there. In particular, niches fit for minimalist interiors, it is this style that is characterized by the tendency to use minimal furniture and their functions partially transferred to niches.
- Niches for exposure. After all, almost all of us find the kind of things that we would like to see for exposition and not hide behind the closet door. Niches create a great opportunity to create an exposition in a wall that does not completely absorb space and serves as a magnificent interior accent.
- Media niches. It is a niche for installation of audiovisual equipment. This creates media walls. Especially impressive looks in the living room, in the teen room, in the music listening room. A dual effect is created: audio-visual technology does not take space and creates a solid visual composition.
- Niches for zoned illumination. A shining wall with niches is one of the solutions to contemporary interior design, suitable for all styles, used to create an intimate, intact effect.
- Niches like wall decoration. Niches, niche systems can perform image functions. They can be decorated with mirrors, different colors or textures, with complex and different lighting.
- Functional niche in the bathroom. They are both beautiful and functional.