Its unique combination of fatty acids can have profound positive health effects. These include fat loss, better brain function and various other amazing benefits.
We will introduce you to the 10 health benefits of coconut oil that have been experimentally validated in human studies .
Coconut oil – use and application
Coconut oil can be used in many ways and for different purposes. Here are some examples of how to use coconut oil and alleviate the problems with this credible natural remedy.
- The dry skin on your fingers and the awful dull cuticles are a problem for almost every woman in this world. In addition to looking ugly, the skin around the nail can hurt and burn. Applying just a few drops of coconut oil will instantly hydrate your hands.
- A mask of coconut oil and honey will help to soften the damaged strands of hair. Keep the mask on for 40 minutes , then wash the hair well with shampoo. The hair will be shiny and soft and nourished.
- You can make skin exfoliation from coconut oil and baking soda . Blend them, rub them gently into the skin and then rinse after 5-10 minutes.
- Coconut oil and honey are a great recipe for radiant and soft complexion. Mix them up and try out this ultimate face mask. Hold the mask on your face for 15 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
- You can also use coconut oil as a lip balm.
- You can’t remove a waterproof mascara and wipe off a few lashes on a regular basis – it’s time for coconut oil, which you can apply to your eyelid and then remove the mascara from your lashes. In addition, the lashes will be soft and shiny after cleansing.
- You can effectively combat dandruff with coconut oil .
- Coconut oil also helps with diaper rash – use it to reduce irritation, and coconut oil is also effective in fighting fungus.
- Moms who have problems with breastfeeding and dryness of the nipples will greatly help in hydrating the chapped parts of the skin.
- Coconut oil also helps absorb calcium and magnesium, which are important for bone and dental health.
The popular Health magazine highlights the specialty of coconut as a plant that bears fruit throughout the year. Studies show that each coconut plant is unique in the percentage of variance of lauric fatty acid it contains. However, consumption of coconut oil can by no means be the wrong choice especially when it comes to hair and skin health, the fight against excess pounds, etc.
Coconut oil contains a unique combination of fatty acids with powerful healing properties
Coconut oil is one of the richest sources of saturated fatty acids. Most fatty acids in the diet are long-chain fatty acids, but the medium fatty acids of coconut oil behave differently in metabolism.
They go straight to the liver from the digestive tract, where they are used as a quick source of energy or converted to ketone bodies, which can have therapeutic effects on brain diseases such as epilepsy and Alzheimer’s . Coconut oil has been shown to be effective in raising energy quickly and is also used as a natural sunscreen. Coconut oil can also be used as a moisturizer for the face, and it is recommended to apply it to the skin before bed.
Populations consuming coconut in the diet are among the healthiest on the planet
Coconut is a kind of “exotic” food in the western world, consumed primarily by health-conscious people. However, in some parts of the world, coconut is one of the staple foods.
The best example of such a population is the Tokelau, who live in the southern Pacific. They bring in more than 60% of the calories from coconut into their bodies and are the largest consumers of saturated fat in the world. These people are in excellent health with no evidence of heart disease .
The results of a scientific study published in the journal Clinical Biochemistry show that there is potential for the use of virgin coconut oil to lower body lipid levels and bad LDL-cholesterol. This fact is attributed to the biologically active polyphenolic components found in virgin coconut oil.
And the well-known scientific journal Postgraduate Medicine brings an article in which experts claim that consumption of coconut oil has the effect of reducing cardiovascular disease. They also emphasize regular exercise and consuming a varied diet.
Coconut oil increases energy consumption, helps you burn more fat
Obesity is currently one of the biggest health problems in the world. Some people think that obesity is just a matter of calories. The fact is that different foods and hormones affect our bodies in different ways. In that sense, calories are NOT calories.
Specifically, the medium triglycerides that coconut oil has can increase energy consumption compared to the same amount of calories in longer fat chains. Medium triglycerides in coconut oil have been shown to increase energy consumption by as much as 5% , potentially leading to significant weight loss over the long term.
The easiest way to consume coconut oil is in your morning coffee . Place a teaspoon of oil in warm coffee and stir to melt. The coffee will have a mild coconut taste and will help your health and weight loss.
Lauric acid in coconut oil can kill bacteria, viruses and fungi; repels infections
Almost 50% of the fatty acids in coconut oil are 12-carbon lauric acid. Lauric acid and monolaurin (a monoglyceride that results from the enzymatic digestion of coconut oil) can kill harmful bacteria, viruses and fungi, ie pathogens.
They have been shown to kill Staphylococcus aureus and the yeast Candida albicans , a common source of fungal infections in humans.
Thus, fatty acids and breakdown products in coconut oil can kill harmful pathogens and potentially help prevent infections .
In his study published in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, famous scientist DebMandal states: “Certain parts of coconut have many medicinal antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antiparasitic, antidermatophytic, antioxidant, hypoglycemic and immunostimulating properties. Thanks to this, coconut oil directly protects the body from the occurrence of numerous diseases. “
It can reduce appetite and help with weight loss
One interesting feature of coconut oil is that it can reduce appetite. This may be related to how fatty acids in the body break down as ketone bodies can have an effect on reducing appetite. So, in the long run, there can be significant weight loss.
The so-called ketogenic diet (very low carbohydrate , very high fat) is currently being studied in the treatment of various disorders. The best-known therapeutic use of this diet is in children with epilepsy . This diet includes small amounts of carbohydrates and high amounts of fat, leading to a significant increase in the concentration of ketone bodies in the blood.
For some reason, this diet can significantly reduce the rate of seizures in children, even those who have not had success with multiple different types of medication.