Chia seeds in Croatia have experienced real success as one of the super healthy foods . A growing number of medical studies are confirming the nutritional and health benefits of chia seeds, and the popularity of chia seeds is growing worldwide. Chia seeds are on the list of the top 10 most nutritious foods.
Chia is mostly grown in Mexico and Guatemala . Historical documents testify that it was grown as a grain in the 16th century and was grown by the ancient Aztecs . Chia seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids, which make up to 30% of their composition . This is why chia seeds are the ideal raw material for producing quality oil .
Besides producing oil, chia seeds are also popular as a healthy snack and as an addition to many dishes.
Chia seeds – an excellent source of fiber
Chia seeds are an excellent food for diabetics as they slow down the absorption of carbohydrates in the digestive system, preventing sudden changes in blood sugar. Chia seeds are classified as a natural type 2 diabetes medicine because of this property .
Chia seeds are a rich source of fiber , which helps to improve digestion. 28 grams of chia seeds contains as much as 11 grams of fiber, or one third of the recommended daily dose of fiber.
Chia seeds help in weight loss by creating a feeling of satiety. They absorb 10 times more water than their size in the digestive system . Chia seeds are a good source of various minerals that are important for health, such as calcium. Thirty grams of chia seeds contains 18% of the recommended daily dose . Calcium is important for the health of teeth, bones and metabolic processes in the body.
Chia seeds are a good source of phosphorus minerals , which, in addition to calcium, is the most important mineral for dental and bone health . These seeds also contain the manganese mineral, which is very important for the utilization of B-group vitamins (biotin and thiamine). Chia seeds are an excellent source of protein for athletes and vegetarians , due to their high protein content and important minerals. The amino acid tryptophan , found in chia seeds, helps regulate appetite , which additionally gives a sense of satiety and helps in losing weight.
The amino acid helps to improve mood and helps calm down before bed.
Chia seeds are rich in high amounts of omega 3 fatty acids, which help in the treatment of inflammatory processes, and in the prevention and treatment of heart and blood vessel diseases, as well as arthritis . Chia seeds have been proven to have a positive effect on the health of the heart and blood vessels, lower high blood pressure and increase levels of good cholesterol while reducing levels of bad cholesterol and triglycerides .
Chia seeds for weight loss
It is important to note that chia seeds do not cause magical weight loss . Chia seeds are great when it comes to promoting digestion , precisely because of their high fiber content. One of the studies conducted showed that daily consumption of chia seeds 20 minutes before a meal gives the first results in the weight loss process, already in the first 6 weeks .
Why is that so? We mentioned earlier that chia seeds in the digestive system absorb 10 times more water than their size. This creates an incredible feeling of satiety. Experts advise anyone who wants to lose weight to reduce their total daily calorie intake. Top chia seeds help reduce 200 to 300 calories a day.
In addition, with chia seeds, you will get everything you need for your body to function normally. You can find white and black chia seeds in health food stores . Experts advise the consumption of white chia seeds since they contain about 20% more nutritional compounds than black chia seeds.
Chia seeds – use
Chia seeds have a neutral taste and can be added to a variety of dishes , salads and desserts (you can find the recipe for raw chia seed pudding here ). In Mexico, the chia fresca is a refreshing drink (cold fruit juice into which chia seeds are dipped).
Chia seeds can be eaten raw , whole or ground , alone or with honey, as well as in combination with other seeds. Chia seeds are the perfect addition to puddings, cakes, biscuits, and can be added when making bread and pastries. However, caution should be exercised when cooked and only added at the end as they lose nutritional value by heat treatment.
Chia seeds are easily digestible and do not need to be ground before eating to reap their full nutritional value (as opposed to flax seeds).
Chia seeds – daily recommended dose
The daily recommended dose of chia seeds is 20 grams. If you are looking for healthy snacks that are low in calories and can be eaten even while on a diet, then chia seeds are the ideal choice for you.
Chia seeds – recipes
Although there are many great recipes with chia seeds, we opted for 3 that delighted us. If you have great recipes with chia seeds yourself, be sure to leave them in the comment section. 🙂
Strawberry jam and chia seeds
For strawberry jam and chia seeds you need the following ingredients:
- 250 grams of strawberries ,
- 1/2 vanilla bean pods ,
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice ,
- 1 large spoon of chia seeds,
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup , agave syrup, stevia or any other sweetener.
- First, peel and slice the strawberries, then grind them.
- Cook them with lemon and vanilla seeds ,
- You can also put a vanilla pod, but remove it later . When you notice that the strawberries are soft, add sweetener, boil slightly until everything is combined.
- Then add chia seeds. Let go for a minute or two and put out the fire.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Put everything in a jar and allow to cool. When the jam has cooled, it is ready for consumption.
You can use strawberry jam and chia seeds as a dessert spread on bread, but also in cakes and other desserts such as panna cota.
To prepare crispy chia burgers, you need the following ingredients:
- 2 medium sized cycles,
- 2 dcl boiled Hajj porridge,
- 1 red onion,
- 1 garlic clove ,
- 4 tablespoons of flax seeds ,
- 4 tablespoons of sunflower seeds ,
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds,
- a little nod in the grain,
- 1 dcl bread crumbs,
- 1 tablespoon sweet peppers (optional extra chili peppers).
- The cycle should first be washed, peeled and ground. Boil Hajdin porridge for about 20 minutes . Then allow to cool.
- Grind also one small red onion, one clove of garlic, flax and sunflower seeds.
- Make a mixture of all the ingredients and add spices (sweet, salty, sour or hot) if desired .
- Add some chia seeds or bread crumbs to the mixture .
- You can also add some cumin seeds in the mixture and then place the mixture in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Grease the pan well before baking .
- Form the mixture into burgers.
- The size of the burger can be as desired.
- You can shape and bake burgers in the oven if you like. They need to be kiln for 30 minutes at a temperature of 160 C .
You can serve burgers with your favorite sauces and side dishes. You can also make a burger from some other type of vegetable that suits you better.