Outside of Savannah, Georgia to the East on the Northern branch of the Savannah River is Fort Pulaski which is now maintained by the National Park System. This was one of two civil war era forts placed on the Savannah River to guard Savannah from attack by water. It was built to protect the mouth of the Savannah River for the war of 1812. Robert E. Lee was instrumental in building this fort from 1829-1847 and it was composed of over 25 million bricks. The fort was attacked (sieged) by Union Troops in 1862 and they were able to tear so far into one corner of the fort that Fort Pulaski surrendered before the powder magazines exploded.