As engineering is a growing field of study, more and more students are aspiring to become successful engineers. This particular educational field revolves around technological skills which can include analytics, mechanics, practical work fields, and even designing. Computer engineering, electronics, civil, and all these are quite common and also quite dominant areas of the job market. However, as technology is evolving and humans are exposing themselves to a more significant portion of the undiscovered science, the realm of engineering is becoming more broadened. This versatile realm is not staggering into the dark anymore with a handful of courses. Instead, the world of engineers has become more diverse, with the option of studying courses like automation, aeronautics, aerophysics, Hydronautics, marine, and so on.
Out of these, marine engineering is becoming quite popular amongst the students, thanks to the marvelous opportunities of showcasing skills and mastering the creativity.
WHAT IS MARINE ENGINEERING?
By marine, we mean anything related to the ocean and the associated vessels and vehicles, and hence, marine engineering focuses on the study of oceanographic engineering, and the technologies used in boats, oil rigs, ships, tankers, and many other marine systems. Apart from this, marine engineering includes the design and construction of pipes, machinery, submarines, underwater control systems, automation, and propulsion plants.
In different B.tech marine engineering colleges in India, the main focus is given on four different aspects. They are:
1. Naval Architecture
This particular branch is related to the planning, designing, and implementing the designs in the construction of various marine structures like rigs, turbines, pipelines, and so on. It also includes the design and construction of various kinds of marine vessels, including the ships, oil tankers, and submarines.
2. Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical engineering related to the marine world is concerned with the propulsion systems in the marine vessels, and other mechanical parts like engines, control rooms, steering, ventilation, cargo handling, and so on. Marine engineers are also responsible for the monitoring of the power distribution systems in naval architectures.
3. Offshore Engineering
Offshore engineering is more of an offshore civil realm which concerns the design and construction of offshore structure like fixed oil platforms, floating buoys, and so on.
4. Oceanographic Engineering
Oceanographic engineering is the study of oceans in terms of electrical, electronics, mechanical, and computing technologies.
WHAT ARE THE QUALITIES OF A MARINE ENGINEER?
In most of the B.Tech marine engineering colleges, the students are taught to harbor their skills related to analytical approaches rather than a theoretical and research-based approach. This is the reason why marine engineers are always rational and consider an argument based on statistical and instrumentation data. So, let’s have a look at the qualities of a marine engineer.
- Problem-Solving Mentality- marine engineers should be able to provide quick but practical solutions to any problem regarding the concerned field.
- Works Excellently in a Team- marine engineers are expected to work and survive in a team to enhance team efficiency.
- Critical Thinking Ability- in most of the cases, marine engineers are put in situations where they need to take critical decisions. So, individuals must be able to think and act rationally, even in critical conditions.
- Monitoring Ability- marine engineers should have a clear perception and should have excellent monitoring skills.
- Analytical Mindset- when it comes to oceanographic and forms of marine engineering, the concerned individuals are expected to be more analytical since they might be involved in system analysis, operation analysis, and so on.
- High Level of Numeral Accuracy- a very high and accurate knowledge of numbers and mathematics is must for the marine engineers.
- Time Management- each project, both onshore and offshore, is restricted by time, and hence the marine engineers must know how to employ the time.