If you were involved in a bus accident, the first thing to worry about is managing the finances for medical expenses and missed work. You are entitled to compensation for your losses by the liable parties, including the bus driver and third-party drivers who may have contributed to the accident.
However, understanding the legal process can be difficult. The first step many people do is to open search engines and search “bus accident lawyer near me”. A bus accident attorney will investigate the case, identify the fault, and determine the compensation amount for your losses. Since bus accident attorneys have experience specific to solving bus accident cases, they can provide you with the best course of action unique to your case.
What To Do If You’re In A Bus Accident?
Serious injuries can occur if the bus collides with other vehicles. If you are involved in a bus accident, it is important to remain calm and follow these steps.
1. Try moving to a safer place. If you are physically in the condition to move, it is advised to avoid traffic and move to a safe location, such as a parking lot, in a building, or anywhere around.
2. Document the scene. Use your mobile phone camera to take pictures or videos of anything that is considered evidence at the crime scene.
- All the vehicles involved in the accident
- The condition of the bus
- Traffic signs near where the bus is located
- Click the pictures of your injury
- Condition of the road
3. Take pictures or a video of your injuries.
4. Seek medical attention, even if you are not seriously injured. You might feel that your wounds are not serious; however, that can be misleading. Many times severe injuries do not show any symptoms immediately. When you arrive at the hospital or clinic, tell them you were in a bus accident and explain the situation. They will evaluate your condition and inform you of the situation. Make sure to keep the medical records, as you will likely need them for your insurance claim.
Medical records include:
- Ambulance details
- Medical treatments
- Doctor visits
5. Collect contact information from the bystanders. Witnesses play an important role in filing personal injury claims against bus companies. They provide details of the accident and any information that can help you establish a strong case against the liable parties. Once the witnesses are dispersed from the accident scene, there will be no way to contact them afterward.
6. Contact the bus company. Accident victims should contact the bus company representative to explain what happened and to inform them that you will take legal action.
7. Call your insurance company immediately and inform them about the bus accident. They should be notified so that you do not miss any deadlines that may jeopardize your insurance coverage amount. In general, you should notify your insurance company one week after the accident and submit the necessary information.
When Should You Contact A Bus Accident Attorney?
You should consult a bus accident attorney in any of the following situations:
- If you are injured in a bus accident involving state-owned or privately-owned buses.
- If it was a breach of duty by the driver that led to the accident.
- If you believe you deserve financial compensation for another reason.
It is important to hire an attorney at the beginning of the process. Mistakes in the process might be expensive. Bus and insurance companies are big corporations, and they usually work with the best bus accident attorneys. It is best to be represented by legal counsel.
You should contact a bus accident lawyer as soon as possible following an accident. They can assist you in determining who is accountable and how much compensation you can receive from the liable parties. Bus accident lawyers also conduct investigations on the case.