The original Ponce de Leon Hotel is right across the street from the Lightner Museum (formerly the Hotel Alcazar). Both were built by the oil and railway magnate Henry Flagler in 1888. Initially it had 4 stories on 5 full acres with 540 rooms. It had only one private bathroom and that was in Flagler’s suite. Soon all the rooms had bathrooms, electricity and steam heat. Vanderbilt, Ulysses S. Grant and William Rockefella. It turned into the Winter palace for the rich and famous. Later in 1968, it became Flagler College.