Dolly Parton is a woman of many talents, most anyone knows this. She’ a songwriter, a singer, an actress, a businesswoman and so many things more. However, while we know these things about her, some things exist about her that only her closest fans know. Here is a list of 6 rare facts about Miss Dolly that you may not know:
1. Johnny Cash was her very first crush. She was a young teenager and was given a chance to perform at the Grand Ole’ Opry in Nashville, TN. This was when she first saw Johnny perform. She only got to know Johnny Cash several years later when he took an interest in her career, through this, act, he became special to her. One of her favorite songs of his, “I Walk the Line.” is the name of the roller coaster at Dollywood
2. Dolly never rides on the rides at Dollywood. You heard that right, she refuses to ride the rides at her own theme park! This is not because she feels the rides are unsafe or that they aren’t fun, she’s just been extremely afraid of motion sickness and roller coasters, all her life. As a kid, she used to get sick on the school bus!
3. Did you know she once actually lost a Dolly Parton lookalike contest? She thought she would win as herself when she saw the contest on Santa Monica Boulevard. Dolly once saw a group of guys dressed up like her, so she said she just exaggerated a bit as she looks alike and walked up onto the stage. She didn’t even come close to winning!
4. When she was born, her parents paid the doctor with a sack of oatmeal. It’s no secret that Dolly grew up very little money. This Smoky Mountain hero has always been open about her family’s poverty as a child.
5. She turned down a proposal from Elvis. We all know her song “I Will Always Love You,” did you know, however, that Elvis wanted to sing it? When Dolly made her own hit out of the song, Elvis’s manager reached out to her, hoping that Presley could sing it. Part of the deal required Dolly had to surrender half of the publishing rights to the song, and she didn’t like the sound of that very much. Something in her heart was telling her not to do it, she said. Whitney Houston later covered the song for the soundtrack of the film “The Bodyguard.”
6. The famous song“Jolene” was written about a bank teller. Everyone loves Dolly’s hit song, “Jolene,” but did you know what inspired it? Actually the song was written about a redheaded bank teller who used to flirt with Carl Dean, Dolly’s husband. She said he just enjoyed going to the bank because the woman paid so much attention to him, it soon became a running joke between the couple, as Dolly would say, “You’re spending a lot of time at the bank. I don’t believe we’ve got that kind of money.”
Did you know about this song?