Many things are happening online that make children feel ashamed or secretive about what they’ve seen or experienced. A local pedophile was caught in a child-grooming sting operation recently and this gave rise to al sorts of questions being asked about just how safe the Internet really is.
Without inundating readers with a whole range of counter-measures to take, I have selected just a few more critical points to consider:
* Encourage children to tell you about anything that makes them uncomfortable.
* Fear of a parent or guardian being cross is often more frightening than the uncomfortable experience they’ve had online, but that is what some nasty people will count on.
* Talk to your children about what they are doing online and encourage them to use the SMART rules at all times.
* Consider placing the computer in a shared room of the house so its use does not become secretive and hidden.
* Make your online use a family affair.
Was this post useful?