Details of the Princely Garden:
It is located between the intersection of the Rectorate of the Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski “boulevard, Tsar Osvoboditel Boulevard, Orlov bridge, Evlogi and Hristo Georgiev Blvd., Gen. Yosif V. Gurko “and” Vasil Levski “Blvd.
Until the Liberation, the place of the future Knyazhevo Garden is a meadow swamped by the waters of Urban river (Kriva Reka). This river came from the street of “Solunska”, flooded the marshes around the National Theater and flowed into the Perlovska River. In winter, the meadow was freezing, and the local first-degree diplomats in Sofia and the first Sofia residents organized musical entertainment and ice skating for amazement at the local shops.
In 1882, on the idea of Prince Batenberg, the town gardener, Carl Betz (1850-1925), created the first vegetable and orchard and built four flower pavilions, and a dozen years later it was styled as a botanical garden. It unfolds on Tsar Osvoboditel Boulevard from the Boulevard District (now “V. Levski” Blvd.) to the Perlovska River and in depth to “Gen. J. Gurko “. The terrain was weedy and cut out by the influx of the Perlova River. There was a warehouse for vegetables, as well as for stables for horses and cows serving the needs of the palace.