There is a road running right through the old town of Appomattox Court House in Virginia. It is the original dirt road that was a coach and general road between Richmond and Lynchburg Virginia. On this section of road the sides each had woven wooden fences that contained 28,000 Confederate troops that surrendered with General Lee here on April 9, 1865. On the following days the soldiers lined the road as far as the eye could see and came into town and received a parole paper to give them safe passage after the end of the war. The Confederate soldiers piled their long rifles and guns into stacks before simply going home at long last. This road still looks haunted and lonely today. Shortly after the town was evacuated and fell into disrepair and disuse and most people moved away to Appomattox Station and Appomattox itself which had a nice train station.