The Big 12 Conference is the only conference in which every team in the conference plays against each other every season. Adding a conference championship game last season worked wonders as this extra game ensured that the conference was not jobbed out of a playoff spot once again. However, the overall parity within the conference could affect the chances of a team making it to the playoff this season.
1. West Virginia. Having the most-proven QB in a pass-happy conference always helps.
2. Oklahoma. The Sooners offense will be just fine. The problem is the defense. Only one player returns that had five or more sacks.
3. TCU. Texas Christian continues to win in the Big XII although the Horned Frogs tend to rely more upon the rushing game and the defense.
4. Iowa State. The Cyclones are for real after beating two teams ranked in the top 5 last season.
5. Oklahoma State. Having questions at QB and in the secondary is an issue in this conference. Nevertheless, a strong running game should compensate for these weaknesses.
6. Texas Tech. The Red Raiders should be stronger this season with 10 starters returning on defense.
7. Kansas State. The Wildcats must learn to not let games slip out of their hands this season.
8. Texas. Don’t be fooled by the hype. The Longhorns must learn how to overcome inconsistency if they want to jump higher in the standings.
9. Baylor. The Bears are about a year away.
10. Kansas. Hopefully, the Jayhawks can win a conference game this season. College basketball season is only about two months away.