The land was originally called the Pennacook by the Abenaki Native Americans. The tribe fished in the Merrimack River and used it as a transportation route for their birch oak canoes, traveling from Lake Winnipesaukee to the Atlantic Ocean. The area officially became the Plantation of Penacook. Finally, in 1765 Governor Benning Wentworth named it Concord.
All through the 18th century, Concord continued to grow. After the American Revolution, it was chosen as the capital of New Hampshire. To keep the city growing the Middlesex Canal connected it to Boston, Massachusetts. The State House was built in 1819 and is the oldest state capitol.
In 1828 the company Abbot-Downing Coaches was established. Their most famous coach became the Concord Coach which was modeled after the coronation coach of King George III. In the 19th century, the city became a hub for the railroad industry.
Today Concord is a center for health care and several insurance companies. It is home to Concord Litho, one of the largest independently owned commercial printing companies in the country.