Fort … Berlengas Portugal
Fort São João Baptista das Berlengas, or simply known as the fortress of Berlengas, located near the western coast of Portugal, on the largest island of the archipelago Berlengas, in the municipality of Peniche, in the region Oeste. Determining belonged to the group of defensive military structures that are supposed to protect the municipality, which is located on the coast. Portuguese King Manuel ordered the construction of the fort in 1502 on the largest island of the archipelago Berlenga Grande. The fort was built from the remains of a pre-existing monastery (Monastery Misericórdia da Berlenga) previously abandoned, and the monastery has served to assist mariners who need shelter as well as survivors of the shipwreck, which at that time was pretty.