Here in Australia, having a fence around your pool is required by law. Maintaining your fence is the best way to keep it up to standard after its been built. It also ensures your yard looks great! No one wants to see a scrappy bit of railing surrounding a pristine pool.
- Pay Attention – The first step to keeping your pool fence properly maintained is doing regular checks. If you leave the fence to long without inspecting it, harsh weather conditions can lead to damage, like rust and rot, which will weaken the integrity of your fence.
- Tighten Fixings – Ensuring that the correct fixings have been used and are tightened regularly will keep your fence standing upright. This is an important step in making sure your fence is structurally intact. That way your fence can’t be pushed over by determined swimmers. It will also mean your fence can withstand those windy winter days.
- Inspect the Panels – This is especially important with glass panels. Do regular inspections of the entire fence to make sure there are no cracks or breaks. Look over the joins to check the panels are siliconed correctly and secured to the posts. Replace panels as soon as you notice a problem.
- Check the Gate – Pool fence maintenance doesn’t stop with the fence! Keep your gate working smoothly so you can use your pool safely. Inspect the hinges regularly and make sure the gate locks automatically. Try to have the lock either on the inside of gate, or at least 1.5m above the ground. This will stop little fingers opening the gate when you aren’t around!
- Know the Law – As well as keeping your fence properly maintained, you need to check that it adheres to the law. Gaps in the fence must be smaller than 10cm, and the barrier itself has to be at least 1.2m high. If you plant a garden bed next to the fence which raises the level of the ground, this makes the fence non-compliant. You also can’t keep anything around the fence which children can use to climb over the barrier.
Laws differ from state to state, so do your research to ensure that your fence is meeting all the safety requirements. Proper pool fence maintenance means your family can enjoy long summer days outside happily and safely.