Barbecued pork ribs have been a family favorite ever since I can remember. This recipe results in a delicious, zesty, and tangy meal that is great both at home and on a picnic.
The zesty barbecued ribs can be made with a regular rack of pork ribs or it can be made with boneless. The sauce can also be made as zesty as you want it. In fact, the same sauce works well with chicken, too.
This is a variation of a recipe that I make that has no bite at all, since I’m the only one in the household who likes piquancy. Additionally, although the recipe calls for cooking the ribs in the oven, they can also be made on a barbecue, or even on a campfire.
Zesty barbecued pork ribs ingredients:
- 3 pounds pork ribs
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- 2 cayenne peppers, diced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (preferably homemade) or ketchup
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
Zesty barbecued pork ribs instructions:
1. Put the ribs in a baking pan and put the onions and garlic over the top. Bake the ribs at 425 F for 30 minutes.
2. While the ribs are baking, combine the other ingredients in a pot and heat to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer.
3. Pour the sauce over the top of the ribs, return the ribs to the oven, and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, basting the ribs with the sauce every half hour or so.
These ribs go great with other finger foods like corn on the cob and watermelon.
I’ve cooked these over an open campfire, in the oven, on the barbeque grill, and even on a stovetop. They are excellent every way that I’ve tried them. The biggest tip I can give, though, it to make sure that there are plenty of napkins or towels. A ‘mess-less’ meal this is not. I suppose that a person could try to eat the ribs with a knife and fork but this is truly a finger food.
If you prefer milder food, simply omit the peppers.
If you want some excellent zesty barbecued pork ribs, this is a recipe that you will likely adore.