This pot pie features cauliflower, broccoli, mushroom soup, and cheese. It is delicious and it’s a warming meal on cooler days. It can be made in a vegetarian style, too, simply by omitting the chicken.
The cheesy cauliflower and broccoli pot pie is made with pre-made pie crust, however, homemade crust is even better. Two crusts are needed; one to line a pie dish or tin and one to go over the top.
The mushroom soup can also be homemade and it tastes better if it is. However, it can also be made with canned cream of mushroom soup, which is what the recipe calls for. This dish is also easy to alter, should you wish to do so. As the recipe is written, this is extremely easy to make.
Cheesy cauliflower and broccoli pot pie ingredients:
2 pie crusts
1 pound frozen cauliflower and broccoli flowerettes
1/2 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/2 pound shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
2 cans mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1 small onion, finely diced
1/2 cup instant potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon sage
salt and pepper to taste
Cheesy cauliflower broccoli pot pie instructions:
1. Line a pie tin with one pie crust.
2. Mix the mushroom soup, milk, spices, onions, and garlic in a pot. Heat over low heat until it is hot but not boiling.
3. Stir in the instant potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, and chicken strips. Pour this into the crust-lined pie tin.
4. Add the butter in thin slices over the top, cover with cheese, then cover with the other pie crust, crimping the edges. Poke several small holes in the top crust to allow for the venting of steam.
5. Cook at 350 F for 30-45 minutes or until the pie crust is browning. Serve hot.
For more of a mushroom flavor, add sliced mushrooms to the soup when it is being heated.
The pot pie gravy can be made thicker by adding more instant potatoes. Flour or corn starch can also be used instead of the potatoes.
If you want to, you can also use small individual portion pie pans, using the same sequence. The smaller pies usually don’t take as long to cook.
This can also be made with fresh cauliflower and broccoli, but if you use the fresh veggies, they should be boiled or steamed just long enough for the flowerettes to start getting tender. Don’t overcook broccoli or cauliflower.
This is a good tasting and light meal, but the cheese makes it surprisingly filling. This is a great dish to have for a change of pace and it can be a comfort food on cold days.