Saturday, December 09, 2017
As I continued to browse in the Winter 2017/2018 issue of California Style magazine, I noticed that there are nine basic styles promoted for this spring and summer.
- Courtier style jackets, which looks like vintage style jacket worn at the royal court. But these modern remakes had embellishments and ornate décor. These jackets look fancy and vintage, like a costume design piece from a period movie.
- All shades of pink, from pale and soft to bold and bright, will be popular for this spring and summer. Dresses, skirts, pants, shorts, jackets and accessories are in different shades of pink. Romance and love is mostly associated with spring and summer because they are warm-weather season, perfect for outdoor weddings. But, other pink associations that come to mind include cotton candy, Barbie, and bubble gum.
- Popular prints will be polka dots and paint-splattered prints. Polka dots tends to be vintage from the 50s, which is nostalgic for beach parties, pin-up girls, and California surfing.
- Plaids or Tartan are still popular throughout this spring and summer. Wear it as a jacket, dress, skirt, kilt, pants, shorts, hat, or just accent accessory with a monochromatic solid color outfit. Suits make a cute plaid outfit, from head to toe, in monochromatic plaid. Plaid tends to be a traditional print, worn any season, but in a different way.
- Pleather is the sexy fabric for spring and summer. Skintight against your body, like Sandy from Grease, looks cute but sexy, with clogs, off-the-shoulder blouse and wide belt. Maybe even add a light trench.
- Track suits or sport suits from the 80s are back. The 90s version are yoga pants with matching hoodie. So, I guess, the millennium version is a silver space suit.
- Head to toe blue denim outfits continue to be popular throughout spring and summer. So, enjoy your denim, whether pants, jackets, shorts, blouses, shoes, accessories, or hats. Denim never really got out of style because it is the classic fabric that can be worn with anything. It is versatile and practical, and you can easily mix and match it with different items to make your outfit casual or dressy. Wear a denim jacket over a dress and high heels or wear a denim skirt with a tank top and sandals. Have fun and be creative because denim is fun.
- Bold thick stripes make a statement for spring and summer.
- Deconstructed outfits are still popular from autumn, and they are all about mixing different prints and colors to create hotchpotch of an outfit. Mismatch and layer different pieces. Think Pipi Longstocking, Punky Brewster and homeless people as your new fashion icons.
I added a selfie snapshop of myself modeling from soft fabric leggings from Fall Fashion Week 2017, sea green platform shoes for Charlotte Russe, sea green pleather vest from Nordstrom, emerald green beret, and I am not sure which blouse I am wearing, but it looks dark for a contrast against light spring and summer colors.