At 5:00 pm, the no-host 71st Emmy Awards ceremony starts out with a cartoon drawing of Homer Simpson walking on the stage, and then a cartoon drawing of a black piano falls on him, where he falls into a cartoon-drawn hole in the cartoon-drawn wooden stage. Chaos backstage, with stretcher, paramedics, and looters stealing Emmys, because of the death of Homer Simpson.
Brian Cranston narrates 50 years of drama, starting from Neil Armstrong walking on the moon until the current events. Ben Stiller narrates 50 years of comedy.
- Supporting actor in a comedy series—Tony Shalhoub in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
- Supporting actress in a comedy series—Alex Borstein in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. She was dressed in a deep purple gown.
- Writing in comedy series—Phoebe Waller-Bridge for Fleabag
- Directing in comedy series—Harry Bradbeer for Fleabag
- Lead actor in comedy series—bill Hader in Barry
- Lead actress in comedy series—Phoebe Waller-Bridge in Fleabag
- Outstanding Competition Program—RuPaul’s Drag Race
- Supporting actress in limited series—Patricia Arquette in The Act
- Directing for limited series—Johan Renck for Chernobyl
- Supporting actor in limited series—Ben Whishaw in A Very English Scandal. It is noted that this title is similar to “limited actor in cancelled series.” Ben acknowledges Hugh Grant’s work in the movie, as the camera spotlights him in the audience.
- Writing in a limited series—Craig Mazin for Chernobyl
- Lead actor in limited series—Jharrel Jerome for When They See Us
- Outstanding TV Movie—Bandersnatch (Black Mirror)
- Lead actress in limited series—Michelle Williams in Fosse/Verdon
- Outstanding Limited Series—Chernobyl. It is noticed that this series was mostly shot in Lithuania.
- Writing in Variety—Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
- Variety Sketch Series—Saturday Night Live
- Directing in Variety—Don Roy King—for Saturday Night Live
- Variety Series—Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
- Supporting actor in drama series—Peter Dinklage in Game of Thrones
- Writing in drama series—Jesse Armstrong for Succession (Nobody is ever missing)
- Supporting actress in drama series—Julia Garner in Ozark. She is dressed in a bright violet sheer gown.
- In Memoriam was displayed as a young black woman sings Time After Time. I was familiar with 19 people who died this year.
- Lead actor in drama series—Billy Porter in Pose
- Directing in drama series—Jason Bateman for Ozark
- Lead actress in drama series—Jodie Comer in Killing Eve
- Outstanding Comedy Series—Fleabag
- Outstanding Drama Series—Game of Thrones
The Emmy Awards end at 8:00 pm. But an encore performance started at 8:00pm.