- First compact microwave oven produced by Amana.
- Rolling Stone Magazine begins publication.
- The population of the U.S has reached 280 million.
- A lot of psychedelic hits hit the charts and San Francisco, California becomes the main point of the new rock era with groups such as the Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother and the Holding Company and the Grateful Dead.
- It’s the summer of love and it begins with the first ever rock festival at Monterey, California featuring spectacular performances by the Who, Otis Redding, and the Americans debut of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. To make it seem even more unreal in 2017 50 years had gone by since this time..
- Dominating the airwaves with her soul recordings is Aretha Franklin.
- One of the most popular hits of all time “Light My Fire” by The Doors reaches number 1.
- The Kinks get banned from appearing in the U.S. for three years.
- The Beatles “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” album wins the Grammy for Album of the Year. It was the first rock record to receive that award.
- Singer of one of the biggest hits “Dock of the Bay” Otis Redding dies in a plane crash just three days after recording this hit. He was only 26.
- The Green Bay Packers win the first Super Bowl.
- The St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series.
- Baseball great Mickey Mantle hits his 500th home run.
- The World Boxing Association takes away Muhammad Ali’s title because he refuses to enter the military.
Movies and TV
- Hollywood actress Jayne Mansfield dies in a horrific car crash.
- Most popular shows on TV are The Andy Griffith Show, The Lucy Show, Gomer Pyle, USMC, Gunsmoke, and Family Affair.
- The Academy Award for Best Picture goes to “In the Heat of the Night” starring Rod Steiger and Sydney Poitier.
- Best Actress goes to Katherine Hepburn for her role in “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner”.
- Other box office hits are “The Graduate”, “The Jungle Book” and “The Dirty Dozen”.