- Computer Company Electronic Data Systems or E.D.S. was established by Texas computer salesman H. Ross Perot.
- It was debut time for Tab and Diet Rite sodas.
- By now most Americans own a TV set and ABC starts to broadcast in color.
- Polaroid develops color film print that is able to develop in 60 seconds.
- Seattle, Washington hosts The World’s Fair.
- Motown records in Detroit, Michigan grow in popularity with number one R&B hits by the Contours and Mary Wells.
- Southern soul scores a major hit with the instrumental “Green Onions’ performed by Booker T. & the MGs.
- Country music and soul mixes up really well for Ray Charles in his album “Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music”.
- Along come the Beach Boys who score a big hit with “Surfin’ Safari” and the surf music craze has begun.
- Hit after hit is offered by the Four Seasons toward the end of the year.
- Performers taking their final bows on the stage with their final major hits are 1950s legends Clyde McPhatter, Fats Domino, The Everly Brothers, LaVern Baker and Bo Diddly.
- It is a banner year for women as female artists account for nearly half of all the number one R&B hits.
- A great year in sports as the New York Yankees win the World Series over San Francisco.
- Maury Wills succeeds in breaking Ty Cobb’s single-season stolen base record.
- Green Bay once again wins the NFL Title Game over the New York Giants.
- Winning the world heavyweight championship is Sonny Liston knocking out Floyd Patterson.
- Scoring 100 points in one game and averaging 50 points per game is Wilt Chamberlain during the 1961-62 season. However, Bill Russell and the Celtics go on to win the sixth straight NBA crown.
Movies and TV
- The year has its touch of great sadness as Marilyn Monroe dies of barbiturate overdose at only 36.
- The most popular movie is “Lawrence of Arabia”.
- The Best Actor Oscar goes to Gregory Peck for “To Kill a Mockingbird”.
- The most popular new movies were “The Longest Day”, “How the West Was Won”, “In Search of the Castaways” and “The Music Man”.
- The best-selling book this year becomes Sex and the Single Guy by Gurley Brown.