source of the picture above: my computer background
Good morning Virily. I decided to join this great challenge by letting you on 5 secrets about me History Gal.
1. Here is the reason why I have not been too active lately on Virily. On December 10th 2019, I went in to get my eyesight checked up as for the past 5 months I had noticed my eyesight getting slightly blurry despite my wearing bifocals glasses. I just thought I needed a new prescription as has always been the case n the past. Well, lo and behold, the optometrist found a huge cataract in my left eye and possibly glaucoma. I was told that a new prescription would not help because I needed surgery for the cataract and drops for the possible glaucoma. A consultation was sent to an ophtalmologist. Finally on February 10th, I had another eye exam by Dr Shahi which confirmed the cataract in my left eye and the beginning of a cataract in my right eye. On the other hand he was not sure I had glaucoma because of the presence of the cataract. So the surgery is set for March 31st. I cannot wait for it as now I have frequent headaches due the fact that I am always squinting to try to see and distinguish and focus on things to make them clearer. Now the only reason I am writing is to explain about my predicament and the fact that I have not been too active here on Virily for a while now as just writing this post is making me squint as it is. No pity please…
2. Some of you know me as a history enthusiast and a fairly crafty person when it comes to knitting, crochet, tatting, cross-stitching etc. But I was a registered nurse for 21 years from 1974 to 1996. I started working in the gynecology/surgery department which also had the occasional medical or obstetrical patient (so a very polyvalent department). Then I worked some 5 or 6 years in the Hemodialysis unit (or AKU Artificial Kidney Unit) with renal patients. Finally for the last 13 years of my career, I worked in the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) which had a medical side (for cardiac patients) and a surgical side (for post-operative patients, head injuries, aneurysm whether abdominal or cerebral, motor vehicle accidents (MVA’s) etc.)
3. I love different cultures but mostly just reading about them as I am scared shitless just being in a car and definitely more so in a plane. But I did manage to travel once to Morocco (which I loved except for the heat) and to Luxembourg.
4. I managed to do my family tree on my father’s side some time. I was amazed to find out that my ancestors (recent) were originally from Reims, France. I was amazed that one of my French Canadian ancestors was scalpted by Indians a long time ago. Eventually I will continue my family tree on my mother’s side.
5. I love all animals especially cats and dogs and wolves as you might surmise from the photo above. My very favorite cat and dog breeds are the mixed breeds. Why? Well just because they have less medical problems such as hip dysplasia etc. Also, just like my sweet departed Tasha (mix of German Shepherd and Siberian Husky), you get the best of both worlds, that is for example the guard dog side of the German Shepherd and the working side of a Husky along with one brown eye and one blue eye.
Well, that is all that is it folks. Nice to have met a few of you in more details such as Vidocka, Kim Johnson, Carol DM etc. Now I have to go and rest my eyes because this post is pulling at them. See you soon and I hope a lot more after the surgery.