As a small business owner, you’ve got a lot on your plate. You handle the big picture as well as the day-to-day of your business; you act as CEO, CFO, and COO; you handle hiring, management, and HR—and there’s a lot more, too.
Our point is this: your time is pretty precious. Whether you’re looking to squeeze every drop out of the limited time you have, or looking to get back a few hours of your day, we’re here to help. Here are 3 hacks that every small business owner should know.
Automate Your Marketing
A small business is nothing without a steady flow of new customers. That’s why we’re willing to bet that you spend an awful lot of time on your marketing. When it’s done manually, marketing can be a huge time suck. There are always emails to send, lead to nurture, and tracking to update. It’s a lot of work!
Here’s the good news: with marketing automation software, you’ll never need to do any of it again. Marketing automation software is a type of B2B software that takes over all of your daily marketing tasks. That includes all of your lead nurturing and contact management.
Here’s how it works:
Once you’ve chosen your marketing automation software, you’ll import all of your marketing contacts and designate them according to customer stage. You can also connect your website’s contact form directly to your software, so that all new contacts are imported automatically.
Next, you’ll set up specific “workflows”, or sequences of marketing communication that you’d like your leads to receive. Here’s an example of a workflow for a customer who signs up for your email list:
- On day 1, they will receive Email 1: A welcome email with an overview of your services
- On day 3, they will receive Email 2: A downloadable ebook with information that is relevant to both their needs and your company’s services
- On day 5, they will receive Email 3: An email with information about what sets your company apart from competitors
- On day 7, they will receive Email 4: An email with an exclusive and irresistible offer, such as a coupon or a free service
In just a week, marketing automation software can turn your leads into customers, without you having to lift a finger.
And that’s only the beginning of what marketing automation can do! Marketing automation can also:
- Segment and re-engage lapsed customers
- For SAAS businesses: onboard new customers and provide them with necessary information about your services or offerings
- For retail: Send cart abandonment or cross-sell emails
Streamline Human Resources
Human resources may be one of the most difficult jobs a small business owner has to take on. For most, there simply aren’t the resources to bring in a dedicated team member specifically for matters of employment, interpersonal relations, and other management issues. Instead, these matters all fall on a single person: you.
The good news is that, in today’s digital age, there are a wealth of resources that can help you with your HR matters. Here are our must-haves for small business owners:
- An HR software: This will help you with all of the administrative functions of human resources. That includes things like time tracking, payroll processing, the management of employee benefits and time off, and more.
- A pre-employment screening tool: One of the easiest ways to reduce the time you spend on HR is to reduce your HR issues. A pre-employment screening tool, like the one from ShareAble, will help you perform thorough background checks on every prospective hire to ensure you won’t bring problematic employees into your business.
Find an Accounting Software
There’s no way around it: accounting is a necessary but terrible task. You’ve got to keep track of revenue, expenses, and more for tax purposes. But for most small business owners, accounting isn’t really their “thing”.
That’s why accounting software is absolutely necessary to your business. Accounting software will help you record, categorize, and track all of your businesses financials so that, come tax season, you’ve got all the information you need at your fingertips.
Accounting software can also help you manage your budget, understand what your largest expenses are, and help you make more accurate forecasts.